You’ve made the decision to move to Middletown, New York and have bought your new home. As if that wasn’t enough work, now it’s time to start the moving process. Moving is often known to be stressful and difficult, but it can be much more pleasant than you think if you follow some pointers. Whether you’re moving to Middletown, home of the historic Paramount Theater and Orange County Fair, and only 90 minutes from New York City, or you’re moving from Middletown to somewhere new, these moving tips and tricks will help make the moving process quicker and easier.
Middletown Packing Tips
Before you start packing, you’ll want to decide if you want to pack yourself or have your movers do it, as some movers offer packing services. Having your movers pack for you will save you a lot of time and hassle, however, packing services will cost extra—so decide which option works best for you and your move. If you do decide to pack yourself, take a look at these packing tips to make it quicker and to protect your belongings from breaking.
- Pack ahead – Start packing about a month or so before your move (it’ll take longer than you expect). Start by packing things you don’t need, like off-season clothing and décor.
- Roll, don’t fold – Roll instead of folding clothing, towels, linens, etc. when you’re packing. This will save room so there’ll be less boxes to move.
- Label your boxes – You’ll be happy you did when you’re unpacking. Label each box by the room it should go in and number it. These numbers will help you determine if any box is missing when you arrive.
- Use blankets and padding – Use blankets, packing paper, bubble wrap, or small towels to pad fragile items so they don’t break during transit.
Middletown Moving Tips
Follow this moving checklist so when moving day comes, it’ll go smoothly with no surprises.
- Stay organized –You’ll thank yourself later. Create a packing list, “to do” list, or whatever else you need so you won’t forget to do anything important for your move.
- Get multiple moving quotes – Many moving companies in Middletown and its surrounding areas offer free, no-obligation moving quotes. Contact a few different movers and get quotes and compare them. Then pick the moving company that is right for you.
- Know if you’ll need to get a storage unit beforehand – To do this, you can create a general outline of where everything will go at your new home. This will help you determine if you will need to get rid of anything or put it in storage. If you need to get rid of some belongings, you can often sell them or donate them.
- Change your address a week before you move — Many people forget to do this, and you’ll want to make sure you’re getting your mail ASAP when you move into your new home.